The day I realized I was broken, left hollow and alone
Was not because of you, my dear, I did it on my own
You were the vice I used to calm the storm within my soul
Ersatz remedies contrived to make myself feel whole

I often wondered what I'd do, when our paths would one day split
Angered by dishonesty, I was a hypocrite
Your love was what my heart clung on and yearned for desperately
But the only way to set me free was from the love that came from me

I could not expect another to love what I have long despised
For how could one truly know a personality disguised?
It wasn't ever you I missed when we were apart
How things might've changed if I had known this from the start

I would've realized early on that you couldn't ever care
Your emptiness was poignant inside your hopeless gaze and stare
Our desp'rate hearts both met, seeking for solutions
Both knowing deep within our minds they were only substitutions

One day you'll find the one true love that fills your world with light
The one that teaches you to curb your appetite
I'll find mine too, and oh the joy that will then take part
When we both learn to love ourselves, from deep within the heart.





Comments

Popular Posts