Happy birthday, Norma!

   Today is a special day. One full of remembrance and gratitude. Today, I get to celebrate the birth of Norma Williams Gonzalez--one of the most incredible women the world has had the privilege of knowing. No one has taught me more about patience and Christ-like love than her and her sweet husband, Howard.
    I had the honor of taking care of dear Norma for about a year. A few months after I received my CNA certification, Howard gave me a call asking if I could help him care for her. It quickly became the highlight of each day. I went away to college and then on my (brief) mission, but every time I came home, the invitation was extended for me to come back and care for her. I still remember the first time I went to see her after I had come home from my mission. She was watching TV and radiated in her colorful track suit. I knelt down beside her and placed my hand gently on her shoulder and said, "Hi Norma!" As she slowly turned her head to look in my direction, we both became overwhelmed with emotion. She had the biggest and brightest smile on her face when she first saw me and was then overcome with tears. I had missed her the most while I was serving and this confirmed why. I'm overcome again as I think about all the times we laughed together, sang primary songs, and talked about my colorful shoes. The Sunday mornings of doing her hair and makeup for Church, and the evening rituals of tucking her into bed. I am firmly convinced that there is no greater woman than dear Norma.
      When she was in her 40's, Norma suffered a brain aneurysm. After multiple brain surgeries, she had to relearn to speak, eat, read, and walk. But oh, how she did! Howard often would marvel as he would recall her strength as she returned to full health. Norma was a very athletic woman and loved to walk. One morning in 1996, she was out for a walk when she fell and broke her hip. The trauma from that incident, along with what she had undergone before, left her in a wheelchair. She slowly began demonstrating signs of dementia, and by the time I was able to meet her, she could do very little on her own and most of what she said was discernible. Her ailments often made her irritable and she would get frustrated when her efforts to communicate proved futile, but the light of Christ shown brightly through her eyes. She radiated. Despite her difficultly with communication, Norma loved to sing and she loved to laugh. Popcorn Popping was one of her favorites.
     One can't simply talk about Norma without mentioning her saint-like husband, Howard. He silently cared for her each and every day in whatever way he could. He ensured all he did was for his dear wife. One Sunday, just before I left on my mission, he stood up and bore testimony in Sacrament meeting on behalf for Norma. I wonder if I have ever felt the Spirit stronger. He loved the Savior and he loved Norma with every fiber of his being and every action he made bore witness of his love. Together, Norma and Howard demonstrated daily what true love really looks like. Love for each other and love for the Lord.
     It's incredibly cliche (and slightly cheesy), but the lyrics from "For Good" from Wicked flood my mind as I think about these two wonderful people.
I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most, to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today

Because I knew you
...

It well may be

That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a hand print on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend
...
Because I knew you
I have been changed for good

     Norma, she most definitely has changed me and her memory will remain with me forever. It's been about three months now since she has passed away, but her influence is still felt in my life daily. She's inspired me to endure trials with better grace. She's taught me the importance of laughter. She's taught me to never give up and never stop smiling. So, it seems only fair that I honor her today. 

Happy birthday, Norma!




Comments

Popular Posts