I Couldn't Put It Off Any Longer
I have tried to retain my views concerning this whole ordeal of "Ordain Women" to conversations in which I was not the instigator--I'm highly opinionated (concerning issues, not necessarily concerning things such as what I would like to do while with a group of friends). However, upon reading the countless articles circulating through social media, and in light of Kate Kelly's excommunication, I found I could no longer withhold my opinion on this very serious issue, although one I will admit to find rather humorous.
I do not want to undermine Kate's views, for I am sure that she is dealing with very real issues concerning femininity and the seeming lack of equality, I know I certainly struggled as well, she just happened to go about it in the wrong way. I know that I am not one who is special or superior to any of those around me, but in this one instance, I would like to say that I went about finding my testimony of this issue in the proper way: I went to the Lord. I prayed throughout my entire course of Young Women's to be able to find a way to appreciate my divine roles as a woman, I read my scriptures, and I read countless talks and Church published books concerning my topic of inquiry. It was a struggle that lasted six years, but I eventually was able to have that moment where the Spirit overcame me and the subtle changes occurring within my perspective for years solidified and I finally had an unshakable gratitude for what I, as a woman, was intended by the Lord to do.
The very core of this issue is that Kate decided instead of asking the Lord to bend her will to His, to demand that He compromise for her. That is not the way of the Lord; "for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9). I'm merely an 18-year-old girl, but if I have learned anything throughout my innumerable Sunday School, Seminary, Young Women's, and Relief Society lessons, as well as from the many verses of scriptures I have read and Conference talks I have heard, it is this: we are to do what Heavenly Father asks of us, not ask Him to change His plan to accommodate views caused by a decline in society around us.
I am one of the most head-strong women you will ever meet. Ask anyone close to me and they will verify. I like being able to show that I am just as capable as those around me, and that means I try to do everything I can myself. I believe women are able to do just as well as men are in life, and there isn't anything that women are unable to do. That being said, I do not believe women should have the Priesthood. It violates woman's roles in God's plan. Women are naturally gifted with the ability to care for other people, have an inclination to serve and love them, and are often more in tuned with the Spirit than our male counterparts ("Surely the secret citadel of women's inner strength is spirituality. In this you equal and even surpass men, as you do in faith, morality, and commitment." James E. Faust). We naturally possess what the Priesthood brings out of men. The Priesthood equalizes men and women when it comes to loving and serving both those around us and our Father in Heaven. However, having the Priesthood requires different responsibilities to be met. The Proclamation to the Family defines men as being the supporters and protectors of the family unit, whereas the women are to nurture and care for the family. However, it clearly states that both are needed and necessary in order to obtain eternal life. Roles and responsibilities are not equal, so is that where Kate Kelly and her supporters derive the claim for inequality?
Acts 10:34 states that "God is no respecter of persons", meaning God will deny no righteous person into His kingdom on accounts of gender, race, or background. Men and women are to preform different works on the Earth, but all are promised eternal progression to become gods and goddesses. Equal benefits. "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 11:11). Men need woman in order to progress to the highest state in the Celestial kingdom, just as woman need men. Now, you tell me, how does that equate to inequality?
Perhaps the topic is not a discussion of equality, but a distaste for woman being subjected to a life as mothers and care-takers. That was my struggle. However, no matter what is is that we are struggling with concerning doctrine or revelation, it is our responsibility to take it up with the Lord. This is His church. He is the head of it. We have a living Prophet who is our direct connection with Jesus Christ. If Christ is the head of our Church, who are we to try to change how things are organized? It may not be easy to accept, but going to the Lord and asking to understand will bring to pass that same blessing. "Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened" (3 Nephi 27:29). Heavenly Father will not withhold anything from those who humble themselves before Him and ask in faith.
Here's my final statement on the matter: I am a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a proud woman. I am happy to have the divine promise and responsibility of being a mother--this, in no way, prohibits what I will be able to do with my life, nor does it suppress my talents and capacities. It is not in the divine plans of an Almighty Creator for me to have the Priesthood, and I am okay with that. I trust that the Lord has selected the best ways for all of His children to grow to their highest potential and I do not need the Priesthood in order to achieve that. I am in no way undermining the power or importance of the Priesthood: it is the power of God here on Earth. Men who worthily hold and use the Priesthood have my highest respect and support, it is just not my responsibility to hold it. I know that I, as a woman, need to marry a worthy Priesthood holder and work with him in order to raise a family properly, and in order to progress to my highest potential. If you have questions concerning your role in life, take it up with the Lord. I testify that, in His time, you will receive knowledge of all that is true. The Lord loves His sons and daughters equally, and we are all promised the same blessings, if we work together. And in the end, the Lord's will, not ours, be done.
I do not want to undermine Kate's views, for I am sure that she is dealing with very real issues concerning femininity and the seeming lack of equality, I know I certainly struggled as well, she just happened to go about it in the wrong way. I know that I am not one who is special or superior to any of those around me, but in this one instance, I would like to say that I went about finding my testimony of this issue in the proper way: I went to the Lord. I prayed throughout my entire course of Young Women's to be able to find a way to appreciate my divine roles as a woman, I read my scriptures, and I read countless talks and Church published books concerning my topic of inquiry. It was a struggle that lasted six years, but I eventually was able to have that moment where the Spirit overcame me and the subtle changes occurring within my perspective for years solidified and I finally had an unshakable gratitude for what I, as a woman, was intended by the Lord to do.
The very core of this issue is that Kate decided instead of asking the Lord to bend her will to His, to demand that He compromise for her. That is not the way of the Lord; "for my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts" (Isaiah 55:8-9). I'm merely an 18-year-old girl, but if I have learned anything throughout my innumerable Sunday School, Seminary, Young Women's, and Relief Society lessons, as well as from the many verses of scriptures I have read and Conference talks I have heard, it is this: we are to do what Heavenly Father asks of us, not ask Him to change His plan to accommodate views caused by a decline in society around us.
I am one of the most head-strong women you will ever meet. Ask anyone close to me and they will verify. I like being able to show that I am just as capable as those around me, and that means I try to do everything I can myself. I believe women are able to do just as well as men are in life, and there isn't anything that women are unable to do. That being said, I do not believe women should have the Priesthood. It violates woman's roles in God's plan. Women are naturally gifted with the ability to care for other people, have an inclination to serve and love them, and are often more in tuned with the Spirit than our male counterparts ("Surely the secret citadel of women's inner strength is spirituality. In this you equal and even surpass men, as you do in faith, morality, and commitment." James E. Faust). We naturally possess what the Priesthood brings out of men. The Priesthood equalizes men and women when it comes to loving and serving both those around us and our Father in Heaven. However, having the Priesthood requires different responsibilities to be met. The Proclamation to the Family defines men as being the supporters and protectors of the family unit, whereas the women are to nurture and care for the family. However, it clearly states that both are needed and necessary in order to obtain eternal life. Roles and responsibilities are not equal, so is that where Kate Kelly and her supporters derive the claim for inequality?
Acts 10:34 states that "God is no respecter of persons", meaning God will deny no righteous person into His kingdom on accounts of gender, race, or background. Men and women are to preform different works on the Earth, but all are promised eternal progression to become gods and goddesses. Equal benefits. "Nevertheless, neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 11:11). Men need woman in order to progress to the highest state in the Celestial kingdom, just as woman need men. Now, you tell me, how does that equate to inequality?
Perhaps the topic is not a discussion of equality, but a distaste for woman being subjected to a life as mothers and care-takers. That was my struggle. However, no matter what is is that we are struggling with concerning doctrine or revelation, it is our responsibility to take it up with the Lord. This is His church. He is the head of it. We have a living Prophet who is our direct connection with Jesus Christ. If Christ is the head of our Church, who are we to try to change how things are organized? It may not be easy to accept, but going to the Lord and asking to understand will bring to pass that same blessing. "Therefore, ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you; for he that asketh, receiveth; and unto him that knocketh, it shall be opened" (3 Nephi 27:29). Heavenly Father will not withhold anything from those who humble themselves before Him and ask in faith.
Here's my final statement on the matter: I am a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and a proud woman. I am happy to have the divine promise and responsibility of being a mother--this, in no way, prohibits what I will be able to do with my life, nor does it suppress my talents and capacities. It is not in the divine plans of an Almighty Creator for me to have the Priesthood, and I am okay with that. I trust that the Lord has selected the best ways for all of His children to grow to their highest potential and I do not need the Priesthood in order to achieve that. I am in no way undermining the power or importance of the Priesthood: it is the power of God here on Earth. Men who worthily hold and use the Priesthood have my highest respect and support, it is just not my responsibility to hold it. I know that I, as a woman, need to marry a worthy Priesthood holder and work with him in order to raise a family properly, and in order to progress to my highest potential. If you have questions concerning your role in life, take it up with the Lord. I testify that, in His time, you will receive knowledge of all that is true. The Lord loves His sons and daughters equally, and we are all promised the same blessings, if we work together. And in the end, the Lord's will, not ours, be done.
That was wonderful, Saydee! You are a wise and articulate young woman and I could not agree with you more. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your remarks, you have wisdom beyond your years.
ReplyDelete