Subtlety

    As I have studied, pondered, and prayed, I have been blessed with the development of a stronger testimony of the love both my Father in Heaven and my Savior, Jesus Christ, have for all of us. Looking back at my life, I realize that the Lord has answered each one of my prayers, even when I previously believed they had gone unheard. Of course, this isn't a new principle. Countless people know exactly what I know, and have conveyed their own testimonies of this in an innumerable variety of ways. What I offer is how you can find the hand of the Lord in your life, or, at least, how I found it in mine.
    The key to finding the answer to your prayers is this: look for them. So often the answers come quietly--there aren't flashing lights, nor is there a grand voice which booms that the answer has arrived. Instead, they patiently await for us to open the door and invite them in. One thing which is crucial to remember is that often times the answers are simple. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I am constantly told the stories of grand and marvelous gestures from the Lord as He answers the prayers of His disciples. The astounding experiences of Prophets and others found in books of scripture, often leave one with the idea that without an overwhelming and undeniable action of the Spirit, we have been left without an answer. This is not the case. All the answers I have received have been humble, yet that does not deter their validity or value.
     This weekend has provided abundant opportunities for me to be reminded of this important truth. Worries about my relationships, my attitude towards the gospel, and my role in life, have all been causes for me to kneel and pray. I was reminded in Seminary of the promise that if we enter into General Conference with questions, we will find the answers we are looking for, and I decided to take it to heart. And, just as promised, I found answers to all of the things which did trouble my mind. However, not once did I hear an explicit statement outlining exactly what needed to be done in order to deal with my specific set of predicaments. I had to pay special attention to the words which were spoken in order understand which things would be applicable to me. And even then, the ultimate solution to all my problems was this simple: keep the commandments. Perhaps, at times, there will be instances where something strikes your heart as an undeniable manifestation of divine revelation, but, more often than not, the blessing from the Lord is that He opens our hearts and minds to be able to detect the subtle things which are necessary for us to know, but would've been easily over-looked. 
    Simplicity does not mean that we are unimportant. Spiritual revelation which is meek in appearances does not mean our need  for enlightenment is less than any other. Instead, that is the way of the Lord. "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:60). The fact that this same principle is found in the Book of Mormon means that I am not claiming to have found a previously unknown truth, but instead, I am adding my testimony to the many others who have done so in the past and will do so in the future. If you feel like the Lord  has abandoned you when you were in need of His help, I assure you that He has not forsaken you. Take the time to look for His hand, and I guarantee that you will find it. Never give up on your prayers. The answers may not come to you immediately, but the Lord will be strengthening and comforting you until they do. I have been on both sides; I have felt abandoned and I have felt an abundance of love from my Father in Heaven. In both of these situations, the Lord did not change. Instead, it was merely a difference of whether or not my eyes were opened. If you feel like you are dwelling in darkness, all you have to do is open your eyes. The Lord loves you and He cares for you: no matter who you are or what you believe. If you do not yet know this for yourself, be patient; revelation will come. I promise. 

Comments

Popular Posts