Development
I consider myself truly blessed--I am constantly being guided, prompted, and taught by the Spirit of the Lord as to just what aspects of my life require improvement. As I have discussed with the people closest to me, I have discovered that the closer I draw to my Savior, the more aware of my imperfections I become. Some may view that negatively, wondering why I find such joy in realizing my flaws and sins, but I am grateful for it because it gives me the opportunity to correct the problems before it is too late. In Mormon 9, while addressing those who sinned and neglected the opportunity to repent, Moroni says "Behold, I say unto you that ye would be more miserable to dwell with a holy and just God, under a consciousness of your filthiness before him, than ye would to dwell with the damned souls in hell" (verse 4). Honestly, that statement would frighten me far more than it already does, if I didn't have an understanding of the Atonement and a loving Father in Heaven who sends me constant help, when I do my part to be worthy of it. Not only have I been blessed to be sent promptings of correction, but I have also been blessed with opportunities to learn how I can correct the problems.
Yesterday, I had the unexpected, yet marvelous opportunity to hear one of the most inspiring talks that I have ever heard come out of a Sacrament Meeting. What was being said wasn't a new concept I had previously been ignorant to, nor was it filled with materials I hadn't heard of before. In fact, I had heard every scripture and quote this man had used many, many times; but how he combined them was what was so powerful. He was a man that you could almost tangibly feel his testimony as he spoke. The part of his talk which was the most memorable for me, was as he was talking about the woman who had played an arrangement of hymns on the piano just before him. Commenting that he thought he would kill for an opportunity to play as she did, he quickly corrected himself by pointing out that he wouldn't because he doesn't even put in enough effort to practice the piano. He then went on to compare that to our development of a Christ-like faith. While it was inspiring to hear the comparison in order to develop faith, my mind wandered as I thought about all the things in my life within this past week, that had been pointed out as areas of improvement. There were times I wished that I could just be rid of the tendencies which I so easily succumb, or be forgiven of the sins I hadn't yet repented of, and here was the answer I needed; you haven't put in the effort. As his talk progressed, he spoke of what was able to pull Christ through His atoning process: His complete and absolute faith in His Father in Heaven. He then stated that Christ developed this faith through exact obedience to all His Father asked of Him, and we must do the same in order to develop the same faith the Savior had. Which was just another push for me to put in the effort to do all that I must do in order to truly repent of all my sins--repentance is a commandment. "For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation" (Doctrine and Covenant 82:3). As my knowledge, testimony, and relationship with the Lord develop and strengthen, I am required to do much more. That isn't a depressing statement, but a joyous one! While I know I will never be perfect, if I put in the effort to be better person tomorrow than I was today, and do all that is required of me, the Lord will bless me with opportunities I cannot comprehend. "The gospel 'is not weight; it is wings'."("Fear Not; I Am With Thee", Sister Jean A. Stevens). The opportunity to soar to incredible heights is available to all, if we but do what is asked of us.
It is such a simple concept, really. Yet, it becomes much harder as it turns from thoughts into actions. Perhaps it is only me, I feel that many of you (okay, the two of you who skim my blog from time to time) are far more developed spiritually than I am, but as we read Mormon 8:38 today in Seminary, I felt as if it was placed in there directly for me. "Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies--because of the praise of the world?". Far too often I allow my fears of what other people will think of me stand in the way of doing what I know to be right. Yet, I have taken the name of my Savior upon me and therefore, it is required of me to bring honor to His name. My actions reflect on the Savior. All of us, as members of the Church, are representatives of Christ--we must glorify His name through our thoughts, deeds, and actions. One of my favorite talks, and has been for years, was given by Elder Mervyn B. Arnold in the October 2010 session of General Conference; it is titled "What Have You Done With My Name". I strongly advise all of you to read it. I want to extend the same encouragement to you as he did. "In that glorious day when we stand before our beloved Savior to report what we have done with His name, may we be able to declare: 'I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.' 'I have honored Thy name.'" Lets all, myself included, remember the requirements placed upon us as we develop testimonies and make covenants with the Lord. And let us remember that the Lord always keeps His promises, and He has said "...he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come" (Doctrine and Covenants 59:22).
Yesterday, I had the unexpected, yet marvelous opportunity to hear one of the most inspiring talks that I have ever heard come out of a Sacrament Meeting. What was being said wasn't a new concept I had previously been ignorant to, nor was it filled with materials I hadn't heard of before. In fact, I had heard every scripture and quote this man had used many, many times; but how he combined them was what was so powerful. He was a man that you could almost tangibly feel his testimony as he spoke. The part of his talk which was the most memorable for me, was as he was talking about the woman who had played an arrangement of hymns on the piano just before him. Commenting that he thought he would kill for an opportunity to play as she did, he quickly corrected himself by pointing out that he wouldn't because he doesn't even put in enough effort to practice the piano. He then went on to compare that to our development of a Christ-like faith. While it was inspiring to hear the comparison in order to develop faith, my mind wandered as I thought about all the things in my life within this past week, that had been pointed out as areas of improvement. There were times I wished that I could just be rid of the tendencies which I so easily succumb, or be forgiven of the sins I hadn't yet repented of, and here was the answer I needed; you haven't put in the effort. As his talk progressed, he spoke of what was able to pull Christ through His atoning process: His complete and absolute faith in His Father in Heaven. He then stated that Christ developed this faith through exact obedience to all His Father asked of Him, and we must do the same in order to develop the same faith the Savior had. Which was just another push for me to put in the effort to do all that I must do in order to truly repent of all my sins--repentance is a commandment. "For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation" (Doctrine and Covenant 82:3). As my knowledge, testimony, and relationship with the Lord develop and strengthen, I am required to do much more. That isn't a depressing statement, but a joyous one! While I know I will never be perfect, if I put in the effort to be better person tomorrow than I was today, and do all that is required of me, the Lord will bless me with opportunities I cannot comprehend. "The gospel 'is not weight; it is wings'."("Fear Not; I Am With Thee", Sister Jean A. Stevens). The opportunity to soar to incredible heights is available to all, if we but do what is asked of us.
It is such a simple concept, really. Yet, it becomes much harder as it turns from thoughts into actions. Perhaps it is only me, I feel that many of you (okay, the two of you who skim my blog from time to time) are far more developed spiritually than I am, but as we read Mormon 8:38 today in Seminary, I felt as if it was placed in there directly for me. "Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies--because of the praise of the world?". Far too often I allow my fears of what other people will think of me stand in the way of doing what I know to be right. Yet, I have taken the name of my Savior upon me and therefore, it is required of me to bring honor to His name. My actions reflect on the Savior. All of us, as members of the Church, are representatives of Christ--we must glorify His name through our thoughts, deeds, and actions. One of my favorite talks, and has been for years, was given by Elder Mervyn B. Arnold in the October 2010 session of General Conference; it is titled "What Have You Done With My Name". I strongly advise all of you to read it. I want to extend the same encouragement to you as he did. "In that glorious day when we stand before our beloved Savior to report what we have done with His name, may we be able to declare: 'I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.' 'I have honored Thy name.'" Lets all, myself included, remember the requirements placed upon us as we develop testimonies and make covenants with the Lord. And let us remember that the Lord always keeps His promises, and He has said "...he who doeth the works of righteousness shall receive his reward, even peace in this world, and eternal life in the world to come" (Doctrine and Covenants 59:22).
Comments
Post a Comment